Position Title: Instrument Man
Reports To: Party Chief or Crew Manager
Assists the party chief with proper research prior to going to a job site, and is in charge of operating the Leica Robotic Total Station, Leica GS 14 GPS, and Carlson SurvCE data collector. This person is expected to accurately collect field data using said equipment.
Essential Job Functions
- Set up robotic total station, accurately gather survey data.
- Perform a closed loop traverse and reduce the data and run a trig level.
- Must be able to perform COGO functions such as inverse, resection, stake a line, translate and rotate coordinates in the field.
- Must be able to complete basic research in mornings which includes pulling the latest subdivision plat and/or legal description of subject property.
- Must be able to read a recorded subdivision plat or a metes and bounds legal description.
- Be able to run a map check and list the map Error of closure using Carlson SurvCe.
- Must be able to locate property corners using a pin finder, recorded deed or subdivision plat
- Must be able to run line work.
- Must learn field codes specific to Georgia Land Surveying Co.
- Responsible for cutting line
- Must be able to calibrate a prism rod
- Must make sure truck is fully equipped everyday
- Mathematical principles
- Safe work methods
- Land survey terminology
- Field survey methods and techniques
- Using complex optical and electronic instruments and equipment
- Using computers and related software
- Read graphic instructions
- Read construction plans and specifications
- Communicate professionally with co-workers and clients
- Be able to follow oral and written directions and have good time management skills.
Education and Expertise
High School Diploma or G.E.D., additional coursework in land surveying and two years of survey related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as those listed above.
$45,000 $51,000 a year based on experiance and surveying knowledge. Pay is by the hour
Seeing: Must be able to see well enough to read reports: 75-100%
Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with employees and clients: 75-100%
Standing/Walking: Must be able to move about on job sites and walk various distances (terrain can vary and may include walking at a steep incline/decline): 75-100%
Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling: Must be able to stoop or kneel, be able to climb over a fence if needed and climb stairs: 75-100%
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: Must be able to lift 25-50 pounds: 75-100%
Fingering/Grasping/feeling: Must be able to type and use technical sources: 75-100%
Working Conditions: Must be able to work in an outdoor environment and be subject to weather conditions (hot and cold temperatures, rain).